Thursday, August 19, 2010

The rental car company says I ran a red light. Will I get points on my license?

I have no recollection of this, and I was driving extra careful that day because 1) it was raining and 2) Im extra careful when its not my car but the camera supposedly got me. They are charging me 60 dollars which isn't too bad, but I am concerned about points on my license. They didn't even send me a picture of this violation. So about how many points will I get for this? Thanks for helping.





Serious answers please, no insults or judgments.The rental car company says I ran a red light. Will I get points on my license?
Obviously the rental place was sent a red light violation, which they paid. They looked at their records to see who had the vehicle rented during the time the ticket was issued, and it was you. They shifted the charge to you since you were responsible for the car during that time, and notified you of the charge.





The chances are the rental company is self insured, and the points will go toward them, just another cost of doing business. If you want further information about the ticket, just call and ask, I'm sure they would send you a copy if you really want to see it.The rental car company says I ran a red light. Will I get points on my license?
there are red light cameras all over the place now in major cities ... they are probably only charging you $60.00 because they are being charged $60.00 for their car with their tags running the red light. Im sure if you asked for the documentation of the even that they will provide it to you.





It would be best to pay the $60.00 by check to the issuing agency but mail the payment to the car rental company as proof of payment. Otherwise they have legal recourse.





Don't worry about points on your license, no one can prove who was driving, but the car rental company can prove who was renting the car at what date and what time. I'll bet the farm that there is some stipulation in the rental contract that you no doubt signed that makes your responsiblity for liabilities of this nature.
Request the picture!!!! They have to give you at least a copy! It will show time and date (and possible location) of the offense. You can then determine yourself if it was you or not. DO NOT PAY the rental agency prior to getting this info!!! I am not saying they are dishonest, but they could have made a mistake when looking up who was the renter of the car/truck.


If you really ran a red light, depending on where you live, yes you may get points. But if you do not have any other offenses that should not matter and the points will be gone again at some time in the future.
this is false! Do not pay the $60 this is a way for the rental car companies to get extra charges from people, unless they can actually ';prove'; this.





Unless the actual ';court'; that issued the citation contacts you and can prove it was ';you'; who ran this light, only then would you be liable, and that would be the only way you would gain or lose any ';points'; (stupid system anyway) on your license.





so ';0'; points!
IF the rental place and/or the court can PROVE that it was you actually driving the car then yes it goes on your license. I would guess the rental agreement stipulates and requires only you having authorization to drive the car.... so yes; its all you baby.





btw... do not pay the rental company a dime. pay the court clerk ONLY! I don't give a rats azz what they say, pay the court, and only the court.

0 comments:

Post a Comment