Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Is minimum liability insurance included in rental cars?

I have no car and no insurance of my own, but do have a driver license. I'm going to rent a car from Enterprise in California and I'm wondering if I can decline all their insurances including liability and still be driving legally. I mean if I'm pulled over by an officer, will he cite me for not having minimum required liability when driving?





What if my spouse who has a permit (but not license) uses the car for practicing? What if I take my spouse with it to DMV for the behind-the-wheel test?Is minimum liability insurance included in rental cars?
You will have to buy their insurance. Your wife cannot drive the rental because she has no license and if she does and something happens, there will be no insurance coverage. Buy their insurance and don't allow you wife to drive the car.Is minimum liability insurance included in rental cars?
Most car rental companies carry basic public liability and property damage coverage on their vehicles up to the minimum limits required by law for that particular state. Just double check with Enterprise to make sure it is included. If it is not, you would be required to purchase liability coverage, as you don't have your own.





All additional drivers, including a spouse, must have a full license in order to drive the rental car. Your spouse would not be able to drive the rental car.





Hope this helps!
Rental company has fleet liability insurance, so you are OK, if an officer pulls you over. But if you get in an accident or damage the rental car in any way, you'll have to pay.


If you want somebody else drive a rental car, you need to put this person as an additional driver. Since your spouse doesn't have a license, your spouse cannot be an additional driver.


You can use the car for the test because nobody at DMV will care, but if your spouse has even a small accident during the test, you are in big trouble.
Normally, your insurance carries over. They will probably require you to purchase their insurance (usually like $15-20 per day).





If you are pulled over, and declined their insurances, yes, you will be cited for driving without insurance - which I know in NY is a pretty high ';crime';.





The rental company might have rules, but if you don't tell them, I don't foresee it being a problem if she drives, as long as you are WITH her and usually tests only require you are driving a registered car with insurance...but they don't usually check. I took my road test in my driving instruction school's car.
The full insurance package is only a few bucks, get it and forget it.
If you decline insurance your have to show them proof that you are covered! which means you cant turn down coverage.
No, it's not. You will have to buy their liability insurance.





They might have a policy to cover THEIR liability, but it won't cover you AT ALL.





I strongly suspect your rental agreement will NOT allow a nonlicensed person to drive - as you have to disclose all drivers AND THEIR LICENSES, up front, at the time of the rental.





If you take the rental and the spouse to the DMV, they'll want to see the rental agreement, and if your spouse isn't listed as a driver, they won't let her take the test with that car.

0 comments:

Post a Comment