Saturday, July 10, 2010

Metlife Insurance: My cars been deemed a ';total loss'; will they pay for a rental car?

Got into an accident. They don't think my cars is worth fixing otherwise known as a total loss. They only want to give me $2000 for the car. I can't afford a new car. While I'm waiting for my check, will they give me a rental and pay for it???Metlife Insurance: My cars been deemed a ';total loss'; will they pay for a rental car?
No, even coverage that pays for a rental wouldn't. Your entitlement to a rental, unless you have a specific policy that states otherwise, normally ends upon settlement, not the receipt of the settlement cheque.


I carry a specific loss-of-use policy, my entitlement ends upon settlement. It is quite possible I may never get my money's worth out of the extra premium, because the policy has a special advantage. Not wanting to pay any more for rentals than they have to, they want the damaged vehicle to get in for repairs sooner, or, in the case of a write-off, to be paid out sooner. In other words, it speeds up the paper-work!Metlife Insurance: My cars been deemed a ';total loss'; will they pay for a rental car?
Are you talking about your own insurance or the insurance for the person who hit you? If it's your own insurance the policy should say if rental coverage is included (it usually is).





If it's the other party's insurance, they owe you ';loss of use';--usually this is the cost of renting a comparable car. This usually stops when you get the check.





You should check with the adjuster about a rental and start shopping around for a good used car.
Is this your own company? Or did you make a claim w/ the other driver's company?





If this is your own policy, you need to make sure you even have rental coverage. Most people think just because they have comprehensive and collision (full coverage) that rental is automatically in there. Rental and towing coverages are sold seperately.





If this is the other carrier, ask them what the rental procedures are for their company





Either way, the rental coverage usually ends 24 hours after a total loss offer is made to you.





** Add


The poster below is incorrect. Not all states offer Loss of Use. But if yours does, you cannot collect both rental and loss of use
Probably not. Check your policy.
Yep,simply ask for one (demand one if needed).You will get it untill your check arrives (start shopping NOW!).

0 comments:

Post a Comment